Saturday, November 15, 2008

Chicken Farm Bakers’ Project # 4: Christmas Cookie: Romias au vanilla, vanilla butter cookie with almond toffee


For anyone who loves the smell of vanilla, this is the one for you. I have that kind of person in the house, my sister, she really likes vanilla and hates chocolate, ^ ^". So, whenever I make something I have to think about her, and this time the Christmas cookies, the cookies for give, I have to make the thing she likes. The original recipe from ............ is the simple butter cookie with the toffee filling, but how can I make it more special (for someone special). I add the whole bean from one pod of vanilla into the cookie, so you can see small lovely dots of vanilla are all over the cookies, “lovely”.
Note: The amount of the almond toffee is enough for 2 batches of cookies, so you can make both flavors from this toffee.
-My cookie press-





Romias au vanilla, vanilla butter cookie with almond toffee
Makes about 50 pieces


Cookies

150 g
Cake flour (or pastry flour)
125 g
Butter
1/5 tsp
Salt
50 g
Icing sugar (sifted)
½ tsp
Vanilla extract
20 g
Egg white

Bean scrap from 1 pod of Vanilla


Almond toffee filling
(enough for 2 batches of cookies)
60 g
Corn syrup (or glucose syrup)
60 g
Brown sugar
60 g
Butter (cut into pieces)
60 g
Sliced almond



Make the filling:

Have ready 2 pieces - the silicone coated paper cut into 10 x 40 cm pieces.
Pour the corn syrup and sugar into a small pan, place over medium heat. When all the sugar melts put the butters into the pan. When the butter melts pour the sliced almond into the pan, stir quickly to cover the almond with the sugar mixture.

Pour the toffee into the paper and roll the toffee into a long cylinder and place the log into the baking sheet. Refrigerate the toffee for at least 1 hour before using.
Making the cookies:

Scrap the beans from the vanilla pod and put them into the sifted icing sugar.

Sift the flour and salt together.
Line the baking sheet with baking paper or silpat.
Beat the butter until smooth then add the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is white and fluffy.
Mix in the vanilla extract then gradually add the egg white then beat to combine.


Pour the flour mixture into the bowl, using spatula, gently fold the mixture together until combine.
Using the cookie press, press the cookies into into a disk with a hole inside.
Cut the toffee into small disk (about 4mm high), and place into the middle.
Put the sheet in the fridge for 20 minutes, meanwhile preheat the oven to 170 °C


Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes, cool in the sheet for 5 minutes, then place the cookies on a wire rack to cool completely.


Romias au vanilla, vanilla butter cookie with almond toffee

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Your cookies look so yummy. You did a beautiful job. Hope I can make them soon; but I don't know how to use cookie press. Is it easy to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, Clumsy
    The cookie press is very easy to use. Because this cookie batter is quite soft, it won't stick to the cookie press.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    These Romias look great!
    I've been looking for a Sulton tube for Romias, but I don't think I can find it here in the States. If you don't mind,
    could you tell me which cookie press do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Aj
    I just added the photos of the cookie press for you.
    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for adding new photos for me. I couldn't find the same one as yours but I got it in very reasonable price. I'll try to make romias.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...