Friday, July 25, 2008

American Carrot Cake: Easy cake for everyday


My brother like carrot cake and my sisters, they love it, I think many people like carrot cake, too. In fact, I really want to try the recipe which my friend sends to me (the Yellow butter cake from ................. she said that this book is real great, and she want me to try the recipe). But, my brother told me that he want something sweet to eat and he don’t want a plain butter cake, so I suggested carrot cake (I knew he couldn’t say “No”), and the answer is “Yes”. Anyway, I had new books (a lot of new books), so this is a chance to try new books (again). I choose this recipe from ........................, this carrot cake is very easy to make too. I reduce the sugar a bit (about 40 g), and use pecan nut (you can use any kind of nut that you like, for me I like pecan nut more than walnut).

American Carrot Cake
MAKES A 2-LAYER 20 CM 8 IN CAKE


For the cake

250 ml
vegetable oil
4
room-temperature eggs, beaten
180 g
soft light brown sugar
140 g
carrots, peeled and finely
225g
self-raising flour
(or using cake flour with 1 tsp baking powder)
½ teaspoon
bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoons
ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon
ground ginger
140 g
walnuts, chopped
(or use any kind of nut, which you like)
For the icing

45g
unsalted butter, softened
170 g
good quality full-fat cream cheese
300 g
icing sugar
1 teaspoon
vanilla essence

A dash of salt

lemon juice to taste
1 Heat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 X 20cm 8 in sandwich tins with baking parchment.


2 In a bowl, stir together the oil, eggs, sugar and carrots.
3 Sift the flour (with the baking powder, if using), bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger into a large bowl.
4 Fold the 2 mixtures together then fold in the walnuts.


5 Divide between the 2 tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes or until the cakes spring back when pressed lightly in the centre.
6 Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out and cool completely..



7 To make the icing, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth, add the vanilla. Sift the icing sugar over the top and stir in. Add the lemon juice and salt, to taste.

8 Use the icing to fill the cake and ice the top.

4 comments:

  1. Your brother and sister are super lucky to have you baking for them.
    Carrot cake is P'House and Pook's favorite too. Add chopped dried apricot in even make it taste better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, P'House.

    They don't think like you. They told me that I bake too much T T.

    Carrot Cake is my favorite too, adding dried apricot is the great idea, Thank you.
    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, ur cake looks perfect! Not even a slight crack!! I really respect u for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah,you were right! It's easy recipe,but looks yummy!Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...